The OIG has created a list of top management and performance challenges in the Department annually since 1998, initially in response to congressional requests but in recent years as part of the Department’s annual Performance and Accountability Report.
The OIG’s top challenges for this year are listed below. Many of the challenges from last year’s list remain and are long-standing, difficult challenges that will not be solved quickly or easily. However, we removed the challenges of “Violent Crime” and “Cyber Crime” from the 2008 list, and added the new challenges of “Recovery Act Funding and Oversight” and “Financial Crimes.”
Top Management and Performance Challenges in the Department of Justice — 2009
- Restoring Confidence in the Department of Justice
- Recovery Act Funding and Oversight
- Civil Rights and Civil Liberties
- Financial Crimes
- Sharing of Intelligence and Law Enforcement Information
- Grant Management
- Detention and Incarceration
- Information Technology Systems Planning, Implementation, and Security
- Financial Management
Detailed information about the Department's management and performance challenges can be found online at http://www.justice.gov/oig/challenges/index.htm.