E & I Report I-2004-010
APPENDIX II: SAMPLE OF SHOOTING INCIDENT RESPONSE CARD
- RESPOND TO THE SCENE IMMEDIATELY.
- DETERMINE THE FACTS, THEN PROVIDE SUCH INFORMATION TO THE INVESTIGATING AGENCY.
(Fax a USM-133 to Office of Internal Affairs within 24 hrs.)
- TAKE CUSTODY OF ANY USMS FIREARMS THAT WERE DISCHARGED DURING THE INCIDENT.
(Another USMS Firearm will be issued, barring substantial cause not to re-issue a firearm. Contact OGC to approve the release of any firearm to any investigating agency.)
- ADVISE ANY INVESTIGATING AGENCY THAT:
- The ASRT has been notified and will contact them;
- Any DUSM who discharged a firearm will not make an immediate statement and will be taken from the scene;
- Any DUSM who discharged a firearm may provide a statement within a reasonable time; and
- Ask that they not release names of involved USMS personnel to the media. (USMS HQ/DOJ decides whether to release names.)
- REMOVE ANY DUSM WHO DISCHARGED A WEAPON FROM THE SCENE. THE DUSM WILL BE:
- Examined/Treated by a physician (as needed);
- Accompanied by an uninvolved DUSM (if possible); and
- Advised not to return to duty until directed to do so by USMS Management.
- IF REQUESTED, USMS WITNESSES (NON-SHOOTERS) MAY ANSWER QUESTIONS AT THE SCENE. INSTRUCT ALL DUSMS NOT TO DISCUSS THE INCIDENT UNTIL THEIR STATEMENTS ARE TAKEN.
- THE SENIOR NON-SHOOTER DUSM ON THE SCENE SHOULD PERFORM THESE ON-SCENE FUNCTIONS UNTIL RELIEVED BY A USMS SUPERVISOR.
REVIEW CURRENT POLICY
FOR DETAILED INFORMATION.
USMS COMMUNICATIONS CENTER
(800) 336-0102 OR (202) 307-9100