Audit Report 05-20
Office of the Inspector General
Responsibilities of the Office of Intelligence
The Office of Intelligence is responsible for the following aspects of 1) intelligence collection, 2) intelligence analysis, 3) intelligence dissemination, and 4) intelligence program management.
- Oversees the FBI’s national collection requirements process, prioritizes these requirements, and evaluates field office performance against these priorities.
- Develops and coordinates the collection requirements that the FBI will levy on outside entities.
- Establishes formal policy and strategic plans for intelligence collection.
- Establishes an ongoing assessment of gaps in intelligence based on national and FBI priorities.
- Continually evaluates the sufficiency of human intelligence coverage against FBI priorities.
- Establishes procedural mechanisms for ensuring analyst access to all relevant information developed through FBI investigations and operations.
Analysis of Intelligence
- Establishes precise definitions of the type of analysis that will be produced and disseminated by the FBI.
- Identifies emerging threats and crime problems that will affect FBI investigative and operational strategies.
- Identifies intelligence that affects more than one investigative program in the FBI.
- Identifies responsibilities and positions in the FBI that fall under the analytical function.
- Establishes consistent qualification requirements for analytical positions.
- Coordinates with the Administrative Services Division (ASD) to develop a national recruiting strategy that will ensure acquisition of the most talented analysts available.
- Coordinates with the ASD to develop a clear career path and performance standards for analysts that will suitably reflect the elevated importance of intelligence analysis to the FBI and nation.
- Coordinates with the Training Division to develop training and professional development strategies in an effort to continually upgrade the analytical capability of the FBI.
- Articulates standards of quality and provides quality assurance review for analytical products.
- Coordinates with Information Resources Division to set requirements for and manage acquisition of technology-based analytical tools.
Dissemination of Intelligence
- Serves as the FBI’s primary interface for the dissemination and receipt of information within the intelligence community, law enforcement, and national and international government agencies.
- Develops strategies for ensuring timely sharing of information.
- Establishes systems to ensure timely sharing of intelligence across internal FBI programs.
- Develops database sharing and checking initiatives.
- Monitors and catalogs information received from and disseminated to outside entities.
- Evaluates and monitors the satisfaction with and effect of intelligence products disseminated by the FBI.
Intelligence Program Management
- Establishes, administers, and evaluates policies, guidelines, and standards for all aspects of the intelligence program.
- Establishes processes to ensure the collection and analysis of all pertinent intelligence generated from FBI investigative activity in each operational investigative program.
- Represents the FBI regarding joint intelligence responsibilities, issues, and initiatives.
- Provides advice and expertise on intelligence issues, trends, and developments to the Director, Deputy Director, and Executive Assistant Directors.
- Establishes a comprehensive strategy governing all aspects of the FBI’s new intelligence program and devises success measurements.
- Establishes and maintains information systems and databases needed to support the intelligence mission.
- Manages the FBI’s informant and asset programs.