Review of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’
Violent Crime Impact Team Initiative
Evaluation and Inspections Report I-2006-005
Office of the Inspector General
ATF Violent Crime Impact Team Questionnaire
The Department of Justice Office of the Inspector General is conducting a review of the Violent Crime Impact Teams (VCIT) led by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). As part of the review, we are conducting this survey of VCIT sites to obtain information regarding VCIT operations in your area, as well as any opportunities you see for improvement.
Your input is very important to us, and we are counting on you to respond openly to the questions provided. We also value your narrative comments, and we encourage you to include them.
DIRECTIONS: This survey should be completed by the Special Agent in Charge, Assistant Special Agent in Charge, Resident Agent in Charge, Group Supervisor, or other ATF official directly responsible for coordinating and supervising your VCIT’s activities. Unless otherwise noted, please answer the survey questions as they relate to operations in your location. For questions regarding specific numbers, please answer to the best of your ability. If you are unable to provide specific numbers in certain sections, please indicate why.
To answer this questionnaire electronically, please click your cursor in the appropriate shaded area and type your response. After you have completed the questionnaire, please save the document and e-mail it as an attachment to the following address: [redacted]. If you prefer, you may print out the questionnaire, fill it out manually, and fax it to [redacted]; ATTN: [redacted].
We estimate that it will take you less than one hour to complete this questionnaire. Please return the completed questionnaire by September 9, 2005. If you have any questions, please call [redacted].
Thank you for your assistance.
I. Background Information
2. Please complete the following table by filling in the number of full-time and part-time ATF personnel assigned to your VCIT during its initial 6-month pilot period and currently assigned. If a series listed is not part of your VCIT staff, please enter “0” in the corresponding cells.
3. Please complete the following table by filling in the number of full-time and part-time personnel that were assigned to your VCIT during the initial 6-month pilot period and currently assigned, from each of the agencies below. Please use the rows reserved for “Other” agencies to add any and all agencies participating in your VCIT that are not listed in the table. If an agency listed does not contribute any personnel to your VCIT, please enter “0” in the corresponding cells.
4. How were these agencies recruited to participate on your VCIT?
5. Please use the checkboxes in the following table to indicate your level of satisfaction with the following agencies’ level of participation with your VCIT. Please use the rows reserved for “Other” agencies to add any and all agencies participating in your VCIT that are not currently listed in the table. For any agency that is not participating, please check “Not Applicable.” Select only one answer for each row.
6. What other federal, state, or local entities would be useful partners for your VCIT?
7. Briefly describe your VCIT planning process and list the agencies that participated.
8. Did ATF Headquarters provide you with any of the following guidance regarding the planning and establishment of your VCIT? Check yes or no in each row.
9. How useful was the guidance received from Headquarters in planning your VCIT? Select one.
a. Very Useful
c. Somewhat Useful
d. Not Useful
e. Did Not Receive Any Guidance
10. Do you consider the following to be the core or essential components (or key elements) of your VCIT initiative? Select yes or no in each row.
11. Has your VCIT altered its “key elements” or operational strategy since it began operations? Select one.
Yes No (If no, skip to question 14)
12. If you answered “yes” to question 11, please briefly explain when and how you changed your strategy.
13. If you answered “yes” to question 11, did you discuss this change with ATF Headquarters before altering the strategy? Select one.
14. Do you use the following resources on an on-going basis as part of your VCIT strategy? Select yes or no for each row.
15. Does your VCIT use a “Worst of the Worst” list to target individuals for investigation? Select one.
Yes No (If no, skip to question 19)
16. If you answered “yes” to question 15, please explain how this list was developed.
17. If you answered “yes” to question 15, please explain how this list is used.
18. If you answered “yes” to question 15, please explain how this list is updated.
19. If you answered “no” to question 15, please explain why your VCIT does not use a “Worst of the Worst” list to target individuals for investigation.
20. Does your VCIT target or operate in a specific geographic area(s)? Select one.
21. Please describe the geographic area(s) in which your VCIT operates (including approximate size and population) and explain how the area(s) were selected.
22. Does your VCIT plan to target another specific geographic area in the future? Select one.
Yes No (If no, skip to question 24)
23. If you answered “yes” to question 22, list the criteria your VCIT used to determine it was appropriate to target another geographic area.
24. Are the following practices routinely used by your VCIT? Select yes or no for each row.
25. In addition to participating in ATF Headquarters' monthly performance evaluations, do you conduct any local VCIT evaluations? Select one.
26. Do you believe the monthly statistics (such as homicide and violent crime rates) requested by ATF Headquarters reflect the impact your VCIT is having on the targeted area(s)?
27. Please explain.
28. What other performance measures or monthly statistics can you recommend that would accurately reflect the impact your VCIT is having on the targeted area(s) or the city as a whole?
29. Do you track all VCIT cases (including non-ATF initiated cases) through the criminal justice system (including arrest, prosecution, disposition, etc.)?
VI. Miscellaneous & Conclusions
30. Are the VCIT partners co-located? Select one.
Yes No (If no, skip to question 32)
31. If you answered "yes" to question 30, are they located in ATF-provided offices? Select one.
32. Do you conduct joint training with your VCIT partners? Select one.
33. Do you believe your city has a gang problem (i.e., the presence of a large, criminal gang or gangs)? Select one.
Yes No (If no, skip to question 35)
34. If you answered “yes” to question 34, please describe.
35. How satisfied are you with the following, as they relate to VCIT (check one in each row):
36. Please list your primary point of contact for VCIT at ATF Headquarters.
a. Name: ___________________
b. Office: ___________________
37. Please list below any improvements or changes that you would like to see in your VCIT.
38. Please list below those aspects of VCIT you believe work best in your location.
39. If you have any other comments regarding your VCIT, please include them below:
Thank you again for your time and assistance with this questionnaire.
Please return the completed questionnaire by September 9, 2005. If you have any questions, please call [redacted].
|« Previous||Table of Contents||Next »|