Department of Justice (DOJ) Inspector General Michael E. Horowitz announced today the release of the DOJ Office of the Inspector General’s (OIG) annual report identifying the top management and performance challenges facing the DOJ. This year’s report identifies nine challenges that we believe represent the most pressing concerns for the DOJ:
- Strengthening Public Trust in the U.S. Department of Justice
- The Department’s Contingency Planning Post-Pandemic
- Maintaining a Safe, Secure, and Humane Prison System
- Countering Domestic and International Terrorism and Safeguarding National Security
- Protecting the Nation and Department against Cyber-Related Threats and Emerging Technologies
- Strengthening Community Engagement, Law Enforcement Coordination, and the Response to Violent Crime
- Managing the Opioids/Fentanyl Crisis
- Managing Human Capital
- Ensuring Financial Accountability of Department Contracts, Grants, and Pandemic-Related Funds
“While the challenges are not rank-ordered, the OIG believes that strengthening public trust in DOJ, managing the prison system during the COVID-19 pandemic, enhancing national security—including the rising danger of homegrown violent extremism, guarding against cyber-related intrusions, and enhancing trust between police and communities are urgent challenges that will continue to garner significant public attention, and that will require meaningful and swift action from the Department,” said Inspector General Horowitz.
The report, which was transmitted to the DOJ last month, is required by statute to be prepared by the OIG and included in the DOJ’s Agency Financial Report. It is intended to help the Department in its efforts to improve program performance and exercise careful oversight to ensure the effectiveness of its operations. The challenges are identified based on the OIG’s oversight work, research, and judgment. The OIG has prepared similar reports since 1998.
Report: This year’s report is presented as a PDF and also as an interactive web page. The interactive report and downloadable PDF are available on the OIG’s website at the following link: https://oig.justice.gov/reports/top-management-and-performance-challenges-facing-department-justice-2021