Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, OIG has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission as effectively and efficiently as possible while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of our staff. As a result, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment letter as well as a substantive response to your FOIA request. FOIA requests that have been submitted by physical mail during the pandemic will experience a significant delay in receiving a response as the OIG’s FOIA staff is currently working remotely and is unable to receive physical mail. We strongly encourage that all requests be submitted electronically as this is the most efficient method at this time. You may reach out to our FOIA Public Liaison, Deborah M. Waller, if you have any questions about your request. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.
- Deborah M. Waller
Supervisory Government Information Specialist
Office of the Inspector General
Office of General Counsel
950 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20530
Conventional Reading Room:
- Call (202) 616-0646 for access instructions.
- This includes frequently requested records, opinions, policy statements, and staff manuals/instructions to staff, created by the Office of the Inspector General after November 1, 1996.
- OIG investigative records are maintained for all ongoing and closed matters received after April 14, 1989. Audit reports are maintained from 1986 and inspection reports are maintained from April 14, 1989. The OIG also maintains records relating to the administration of the office.
- A comprehensive guide to the FOIA that serves as a handbook for obtaining information from the Department.
- A comprehensive legal treatise on the FOIA, including detailed discussions on the FOIA’s procedural requirements, nine exemptions, and litigation considerations.
Special information required to make a FOIA request:
Publicly available information for which a FOIA request is not required:
- Audit reports; inspection reports; special reports; semiannual reports; testimony
Major Information Systems: